Would you eat harmful chemicals that are in food? Absolutely not so why would you put these on your skin? Since navigating through the back label of beauty products can be overwhelming, we broke down the 5 commonly harmful ingredients in skincare and makeup. Say Bye to these ASAP and your skin will thank you in the long run.
1. Parabens are preservatives that prevent the growth of bacteria, mold and yeast in beauty products—and they've been associated with increased risk of breast cancer and have been identified in biopsy samples from breast tumors. Still extremely common, they can be found in makeup, body washes, deodorants, shampoos and facial cleansers.
2. Synthetic Colors are Ingredients that start with the letters FD&C or D&C are artificial colors which are known to potentially cause cancer.
3. Fragrance are unfortunately said that unless an ingredient is derived from essential oils, synthesized fragrances has been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory issues and negative potential effects on your organs. Watch out for Fragrance or parfum on the ingredient list.
4. Phthalates, this beauty ingredient is actually commonly used to soften plastic, phthalates are dangerous chemicals because of their effects on the body and how easily they fly under the radar. Those commonly found in beauty products are dibutyl phthalate (nail polish), diethyl phthalate (perfumes and lotions) and dimethyl phthalate (hair spray). The most common of all, these are present in more than 90% of personal care products and can cause skin and eye irritation.
5. Sodium Lauryl/Sulfate – This ingredient is a foaming agent and can be found in 90% of personal care products which causes skin and eye irritation. If it foams (shampoo, body wash, face cleanser and acne treatment), it probably contains at least one SLS.